March is quickly approaching which means that the weather will soon be getting warm, and your winter coat will be thrown to the back of your closet for the next few months. This also means you will be digging up your spring and summer clothes that have been hiding in the back of your drawers for what feels like an eternity.
Luckily, for college students, this spring you will be able to recycle some key pieces from the fall and winter, as well as styles from last spring. This season there are also new styles and trends to follow. Pairing recycled pieces with new styles from this season will add a pop of color to your wardrobe.
There are a few rules that every smart fashionista will follow when creating their new spring style. You should follow these rules when you are deciding what pieces can carry over from season to season, and what pieces should stay in hibernation for the next few months.
Here is a list of do’s and don’ts to use as a guideline for your spring 2013 wardrobe.
1. Chambray (denim) shirt: The chambray shirt is a very versatile piece. Just like during the fall and winter seasons, it is great for layering. During the spring, you can layer it over a dress, or pair it with bright colored or patterned bottoms.
2. Bright, bold jewelry: Wearing jewelry is the easiest way to make an outfit complete. During the spring, wear bright, bold jewelry to add a pop of color to an outfit that might be dull otherwise.
3. Floral patterns: You either love them or you hate them, but like it or not this spring they are in. Wear floral patterns that incorporate bright colors, or else you might look like your grandma.
4. Light sweaters: Sweaters will never go out of style, but your winter sweaters will go out of season. Keep your winter sweaters for the winter, and find spring sweaters that are made of a lighter material. H&M is a great spot to find sweaters suitable for every season.
5. Flats that add a pop of color: If you often find yourself wearing neutral colors, add a pop of color with a pair of fun flats. They are not hard to come by, and are an inexpensive way to spruce up your wardrobe.
1. Excessive amounts of black or other dark colors: It’s spring! This is the perfect season to wear color. Step back from the black and switch it out for more fun, vibrant colors.
2. White or black lace: Lace is timeless and will never go out of style, but colors might. You will still be able to wear white and black lace, but this season colored lace is in. Bright colored lace is both fun and feminine, and is a great addition to your spring and summer wardrobe.
3. Heavy knitted scarves: Just like heavy sweaters, heavy scarves also go out of season. Once the weather warms up pack those away, and trade them in for linen or cotton scarves.